Using targeted events to attract & recruit prime candidates
Everyone knows how difficult it is to connect with top candidates through traditional means of communication such as resume books or presentations. Strategically designed events can give you a much-needed edge in the pursuit of talent—if you are looking for a way to enhance your brand, stand out from the corporate crowd and connect with potential employees.
You need to go beyond the usual campus meet-and-greet pizza buffet. If the thought of event planning conjures up bad memories of weddings or interminable conferences, you’re certainly not alone. While all events (nuptials included) require careful attention to planning and logistics, target-specific recruiting events can boost your employer and corporate brand image, giving you an opportunity to interact with candidates and even turn a profit (unlike most weddings).
Know your goals
How can you use events as part of your overall employer branding strategy?
13 tips for using targeted events to attract talent
- Should have specific goals for enhancing your employer brand and moving participants through the recruitment funnel. Are you building brand awareness or are you looking to recruit ideal candidates?
- Should have clear metrics to measure results and receive feedback.
- Should be scalable as needed from year to year and in different locations.
- Are a two-way street: You’re selling your company to candidates; they’re marketing themselves to you.
- Can be online, on-location, or a combination of the two.
- Can be configured to select participants based on competitive criteria or by random draw.
- Can build buzz not only around your employer brand, but by extension, around your consumer brand.
- Give your company a longer, more informal, and more valuable time period in which to interact with recruits on a more personal level.
- Are cost-effective and potentially profit-generating.
- Make the most of your recruiters’ and executives’ time.
- Can give you free publicity and positive press.
- Showcase your company’s creativity.
- Give the opportunity to export your people and culture.